THE POST-SIGNAL / Saja Hoffpauir
This weekend’s SideWalk Saturday event will include the kick-off of the “Stories on Main” program, a joint venture between Crowley Main Street and the Acadia Parish Library. On hand on Monday to plan the event were, seated, Claire Doré, Crowley Main Street board member and Acadia Parish Library programming and outreach librarian; standing from left, Ted Landry, Acadia Parish Library director; Jill Habetz, Crowley Main Street board president; and Nancy Loewer, Crowley Main Street vice president.
Sidewalk Saturday set
On Saturday, Crowley Main Street will host its inaugural “SideWalk Saturday” downtown sales event.
Crowley Main Street businesses will come together to offer special event sales, discounts and promotions during the event, which will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
According to Jill Habetz, Crowley Main Street board president, around 11 downtown businesses will be participating in the day.
Habetz says that the objective of SideWalk Saturday is to support local small businesses and promote keeping local dollars in Crowley.
“It’s so important, not just to the business owners, but to our community as a whole, to shop local,” said Habetz.
Participating SideWalk Saturday businesses include:
• Adams Apple, 528 N. Avenue F – The gift and flower shop will be greeting all visitors with a free rose, while supplies last, as they shop their sales.
• Cramer Equipment & Supply, 325 N. Parkerson Ave. – The commercial and industrial equipment supplier will have all long-sleeve shirts, jackets and vests 35% off, excluding fire-resistant and clearance items.
• Crowley Art Gallery, 411 N. Parkerson Ave. – The art gallery will host “Creative Sidewalk Chalk Day,” assisting participating children in decorating the sidewalks. Every 10th visitor will receive a free raffle ticket entry for a chance to win the Harold Letz original painting “Gentle Tide.”
• Frosto, 228 N. Avenue G – The local 50’s-inspired diner will have a chicken sandwich and chips on special for $5.49.
• Indigo Blue, 318 N. Parkerson Ave. – The boutique will have 50% off summer items.
• Poise and Personality, 205 N. Parkerson – The store will have a special event sale.
• Puddles & Lace, 300 N. Parkerson – The children’s boutique will have $10, $20 and 30% off racks.
• Red Bird Vintage Market, 313 N. Parkerson – The vintage-inspired, flea market-style collection of over 20 vendors will offer special savings on their Plaster Paint line and Acadian Pride Detergent.
• Ruddock’s Bakery, 556 N.E. Court Circle – The bakery will offer $2 off a dozen glazed donuts.
• SaraBelle’s Boutique, 407 N. Parkerson Ave. – The boutique will have a “HELLO Autumn Sale” with 30% off the entire store.
• The Vanilla Bean, 414 N. Parkerson Ave. – The coffee shop will offer $1 off all coffee drinks during the event.
As an added incentive, shoppers that spend $50 or more at a participating SideWalk Saturday business can email their receipts to CrowleyMainStreet@gmail.com to be entered to win a prize.
While SideWalk Saturday is a retail-focused event, the event will also launch Crowley Main Street’s new outdoor series partnership with the Acadia Parish Library.
Crowley Main Street and the Acadia Parish Library are teaming up to host “Stories on Main,” an outdoor fun series for children that will feature a story and craft hour.
Each outdoor story hour date will have two sessions – one at 10 a.m. and one at 11 a.m.
Story hour dates and themes are:
• Saturday, Sept. 26 – “Science Story Time!” – Attendees will enjoy a story about a young scientist and watch a cool science experiment.
• Saturday, Oct. 17 - “Harvest Stories from the Farm” – Children will learn about farming and the rice harvest season.
• Saturday, Oct. 24 - “Mr. Pumpkin’s Story Time and Pumpkin Decorating” – Children are invited to wear their own Halloween costumes and bring their own pumpkins to decorate.
“We are excited to be partnering with Crowley Main Street to present this outdoor story hour for our patrons. We appreciate the opportunity to present our patrons with new programs that suit COVID guidelines,” said Ted Landry, director of the Acadia Parish Library.
Future plans, according to Habetz, include expanding the outside series to include talks and lectures on topics related to Crowley’s history.
Stories on Main will be presented on the corner of North Parkerson Avenue and East Fourth Street.
Sign-up is required to participate in Stories on Main, and a limited number of slots is available. To sign up, contact Claire Dore at 788-1880 or cdore@acadiaparishlibraryorg.
Stories on Main is being sponsored by Encore Healthcare & Rehabilitation, Southwind Senior Living Suites and Southwind Healthcare & Rehabilitation
For more information contact Habetz at CrowleyMainStreet@gmail.com or (337) 581-9407.